Monday, September 10, 2012

Class Photos of Westleigh Girls - Just Received And Updated!

                                                                      


                                        
                                                       
                                                                       


I just received these pictures from Helen Findlay (née Wheeler).Click to enlarge.

I stand corrected that there were no class photographs ever taken as I said before. 
I can only conclude that perhaps my mother never ordered any, or perhaps the younger classes didn’t get their photo taken.
I had a close look but I can’t seem to identify any more, or add much more to what Helen has written – what a remarkable memory you have, Helen! 
And I thought I was pretty good.


I think most of the girls pictured were in a higher class than myself.


I am also sure some of them had younger sisters, for example Elizabeth White had a sister called Christine, Maria Braianis had a sister called Elana, who was in my year and who I have mentioned in this post, and Janice Mottram had a sister called Kaye or Kayleen – I think. Pamela Perry also had a younger sister but I cannot remember her name.
 
I can add that where I have put an asterisk after ‘head prefect Valerie’, third row – I am pretty sure it was Valerie McKenzie, and it was Valerie who gave Queen Elizabeth the bouquet of flowers I mentioned here.

I have put an asterisk after ‘Lyn’ in the front row, and I cannot remember her surname exactly.

 Helen thankfully just did. It is Lyn Campbell!


What I do recall about Lyn is that she went on to become one of Brian Naylor’s Swallow’s Juniors. She sang beautifully.
Sadly we lost Brian Naylor during the horrendous bush fires some years ago. He was an Aussie icon.
Swallow’s Juniors was a similar show to a much later one which Johnny Young did, called “Young Talent Time”.
I am assuming that these pictures were taken prior to 1960 or in 1960.
Helen’s comments:


Class Photo
TOP ROW... Lyn McRitchie, ... Pat Crawford, June Marshall, No5 ?, No: 6 ?? No 7 ?? , Jeannie Smith, Valerie Willis, Lyndal Dean.


2nd ROW Marika Filandriaki, Kerrie Tippett, Janice Mottram, Beverly ??, Anne McRitchie, No: 7 ??" Maria Briannis,[sic] No 9: ??? Anita Crawley


3rd ROW Coleen Bachelor, Rhonda Noble, Pam Perry, No: 4 ???, No : 5 ????, Robyn Shewan, Helen Wheeler, Pauline Amos , HEAD PREFECT VALERIE* ??, No: 10 ??? Yvonne Crawley.


FRONT ROW Elizabeth White, Carol ??, Susan Norris, Desley Tuttleby, Gisella, Lyn* ???,Elaine Bickerton, No: 8 ???, No: 9?? No; 10.


You may fill in the rest , best I can do after 50 yrs.(Helen says!)


Double Image: Heather Landers, Robyn Shewan, Teena Doupis, Sue Grimshaw.
Susan Norris Helen Wheeler, Gisella Hirschfeld.
Helen, Janice Mottram behind fence.


Bottom picture: Helen Wheeler taken early December 1959 in the Everard’s Garden. 
You look great Helen!!

Helen, many, many thanks for taking the time and trouble to send me this information and the pictures. I really appreciate this!

I have enlarged them as much as I can on Google Blogger.

 Having said that if you click on the photo you will get a larger image.

Also, if any one else is reading this and can add some information please leave a comment.

Again, thank you Helen!

PS:Just wanted to add that in the background of the double image one can see the  weatherboard school building, and the gates.


Below: My sister, Giselle. Possibly her first day at school.
Many thanks to my aunt for this picture which I just received.(2014)




                                                              





               

No comments:

Post a Comment