Monday, October 1, 2012

"Westleigh College, Northcote" by Trevor Batrouney - A History of the School


                                                                       
Some great new information from another “Westleigh Girl” – Harry Blutstein!
 
Many, many thanks, Harry! I am thrilled to receive any new information. Harry writes:
"I have put a post/comment on the blog. It is a comment to the last post as I haven’t worked out how to post an item of my own!

In any case, you can purchase the booklet, "Westleigh College, Northcote" for $10 from Trevor Batrouney. 

You can contact Mr Trevor Batrouney via email: trevorb[at]planet.net.au.

Find attached a report card for Raey Cope (I have others from between 1932-1937) and photos of what I think was one of the school buildings at 212 Clarke Street.

Trevor did give his permission for his contract details to be included.

[.....]

His book gave me the location of the school building in Clarke Street, and there are several others that I’ll investigate (and photograph).

What I think is remarkable about the report cards is the range of subjects offered.

At the time this would have been unusual for any school, let alone a private girl’s school.

It is a great pity that the school records were destroyed."

This is quite extraordinary!

In my time at Westleigh College  – 1954 - 1960 - the school was located in James Street so I don’t recall anything about Clarke Street.

Harry very kindly sent me the pictures which I have posted as well.
 
I especially like the report card, dated 1937, below.

It clearly shows Miss Clarice’s signature and the school emblem, or logo as we would now call it.

This was pasted into every book prize that was awarded on Speech Night


I mentioned that the Mayor of Northcote was Mr Batrouney while I attended Westleigh ColIege. I am assuming Trevor Batrouney is his son. 

Mr Batrouney always gave a speech at Speech night. And I mentioned this here. 

I also remember the school fees bill, as sent to my parents, looked very similar to the report card.

I don’t have any of these documents and any longer but I have no doubt they will look familiar to many ex-pupils.

Harry very kindly posted details in comments here.

Little by little more information will hopefully emerge.....stay tuned!

     
 Again, the pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them directly.              

                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment